It's that time of year again! Grace and Ella started school today, and they did great. I got a little sentimental thinking about the fact that this is Grace's "last" first day of preschool. I cannot believe that she'll go to kindergarden next year! I get teary-eyed just thinking about it. Her class is called the "junior varsity" class and meets three days per week. We considered putting her in the varsity class, which meets five days per week, but we decided against it for two reasons: (1) Grace loves free time with Ella and Sutton and would miss them terribly if she was gone everyday, and (2) she has the rest of her life to go to school and work on a five-day week. I'm so glad she has one more year to enjoy being a kid!
We started the morning with yummy waffles, then got dressed for the day, complete with fancy new shoes that fall within the rules (no sandals or Crocs). The first day of school isn't complete without new backpacks and lunch bags (except I didn't buy new lunch bags, just cool bento box containers that will save me from hunting for multiple bowls and lids and wasting Ziploc bags). Does't Grace look like such a big girl?
Our photo session was less than ideal because of torrential rain, which resulted in horrible lighting and a few drops of rain on my camera. We were also interrupted by two huge snails that were obviously more interesting than me.
Okay, now back to business.

Ella was surprisingly cooperative this morning. I didn't hear "no take my picture" even one time!

I could just eat her!

This is what happens when I try to get two silly girls to stay still for me...




Goodness, they wear me out sometimes! Now, this little guy is loving the camera lately and even says "CHEESE!"
Unfortunately, the rain did not let up all morning. Our walk into school was wet and exhausting as we lugged all our school gear, raincoats and umbrellas.
Grace went first this year and didn't seem a bit nervous. She might even have been embarrassed that I was following her around with a camera.

We met her teacher (after we missed Meet the Teacher Night because we were on vacation), and as soon as Grace walked in, she spotted her best school friend with whom she shares a name. They hugged each other tightly and her friend said, "I have to tell you a secret!" It was so sweet, and I'm glad they'll have each other in class again.

Ella was definitely apprehensive, as she tends to be around new people. Her nervous habit is putting her fingers into her mouth. She came close here...
She's got two very sweet teachers this year, and I know she's going to do well again. She remembered one of them from last year on the playground, and she hopped right into her lap. Her daily report card said she was very chatty, so her nerves must have disappeared quickly.

We are so thankful for our school and its wonderful staff. I pray that Grace and Ella have another wonderful year!



No comments:
Post a Comment