Grace's first soccer game of the season today was nothing short of fabulous. She's been practicing up a storm in our backyard and at the park with Travis and is learning how to use her long legs to run faster. Last night at bedtime, we prayed that God would help her to remember everything she's practiced and to be brave (not scared of getting in the middle of the pack) and to do her best. Our prayers were definitely answered, and it was just amazing to watch the transformation since the fall season.
First off, the other team parents could not believe how much she's grown. I guess we don't notice it because we see her everyday, but she's grown at least three inches in the past few months. I'm not surprised given all the middle-of-the-night leg cramps she's been having, which was always a sign for me when I was going through a growth spurt. She's now one of the tallest on her team.
They also couldn't help but notice her "skills." She was fast, aggressive and played really smart. She knew when to go after the ball, and she knew when to fall out of the pack to set up for the next play. All her practice and hard work paid off when she scored not one, but TWO GOALS!! It was unbelievable, and both times she turned to us with a "did I just score?" look.
I am so mad that my camera didn't make the switch from manual to auto-focus because all of my shots are blurry. But, for memories' sake, I'm posting them anyway.
Kicking the ball in...
Water and a high five for Daddy...
Big Sutton (aka Travis) trying to keep Sutton entertained. Bubbles and lots of snacks did the trick...
More aggressive play...
The second goal happened so quickly that I barely saw it and didn't get a picture. We are so proud of Grace for doing her best and working hard to be a better soccer player. She really loves the game!
And, not that we're keeping score because this is pre-K YMCA soccer, but the Rainbow Unicorns "won" 10 to 2!



No comments:
Post a Comment