Where has our summer gone? I obviously haven't spent time blogging, as evidenced by my lack of posts. While I had a goal to catch up before Grace started school, I fell short because I've been trying to soak up the summer. My new goal is to stay caught up, and it starts now! I'll fill in posts about our summer adventures as time permits--please be patient.
I have had the best time getting Grace ready for kindergarden. Back-to-school shopping was something I always enjoyed, and it felt surreal to get to experience it with her. Although I must admit that I did most of my shopping online--it sure beats the crowds and keeps us out of the 100+ degree heat. Grace definitely has her own style now, and while shopping, she would often ask, "Do you think this looks like me?" She's as cute as ever, and we're both excited about all her fun clothes for fall.
We started practicing our morning routine last week with a 6:50 a.m. wake-up call from Daddy. Grace asked for an alarm clock, but Travis has enjoyed going into her room to wake her up each morning. It so reminds me of what my own dad used to do. She's never been an early bird, so it was a bit of an adjustment. But, as with most new things, she adapted quickly and well. One of the most exciting things about kindergarden is that because she starts at 8:00, I get to take her to school. Wish me luck--trying to get four of us out the door by 7:45 (or 7:40 if we walk) should be interesting.
Last week, Grace got her homeroom assignment and celebrated with Popsicles in the Park with all the kindergardeners. The next night, Travis and I attended Kindergarden Parent Orientation. It was a lot of information, but we're both so excited about this school. The primary reason we moved to the Park Cities was so that Grace, Ella and Sutton could attend public school, in a neighborhood where 95% of kids attend public school. Lakewood was much different--with many kids attending private school--something we wanted to avoid, considering the outrageous cost of tuition in Dallas private schools. It was the right decision for us, and we felt confirmation of this while visiting the school this week. We ended the week with Meet the Teacher night, and we were thrilled to meet Grace's kindergarden teacher. She happens to really good friends with a really good friend of Travis' dental hygienist. Small world.
Yesterday, we wanted to do something special for Grace, and she chose to have "dinner with just Mama." I gladly obliged, and we headed to PF Chang's for Chinese food and girl time. As I sat across the table from her, I pictured her as a toddler and could hardly believe that she's almost 6. As people warned me, the time surely has passed by so fast. I'm so, so, so proud of the person she's become--kind, respectful, responsible, caring, funny, thoughtful, smart and a true lover of God. She's always had such a sweet spirit, and I'm so excited that she'll be able to share it at school.
For Grace's pre-first day of school dinner, she chose chicken, lentil soup and brownies. We had fun baking the brownies together...
This last picture is of Grace waiting for the brownies to bake and keeping herself busy on the iPad. She wanted Travis to smoke a chicken for her, but because we were short on time, I roasted one instead. She said the blessing before we ate and added, "I sure hope a lot of people are praying for me." We assured her that they were :) Grace picked out her outfit, complete with shoes and accessories. Then, after a fun bubble bath, we all snuggled together and read "The Night Before Kindergarden" and "Berenstain Bears New School." Both were very fitting, and I think we'll make it a back to school tradition.
We prayed tonight that God would watch over Grace and pour out his favor on her as she starts this new chapter of her life. I've cried several times, thinking about how big she is and how I'm letting her go in a sense. But, I'm confident that God is holding her tighter than ever, and I know that he has a marvelous purpose and plan for her life. Travis and I are so excited to see all the wonderful things in store for her as she starts the school years!



No comments:
Post a Comment