Monday, November 1, 2010

Happy 5th Birthday, Grace!

Our sweet Grace is five. How can that be? It feels like only yesterday that I arrived at Baylor hospital, 2 days past my October 30 due date, to get prepped for an induction on November 2 and was told I could go home after I walked for just another 30 minutes. As soon as I finished walking, the contractions started coming, and I called Travis to say, "Never mind. I can't meet you for lunch. You need to come to the hospital now!" That evening after 7 hours of labor and an epidural that only worked on one side, Grace arrived wide-eyed and pouty-lipped. She was beautiful and alert and we immediately fell in love. And now, she's five. She's no longer a baby or toddler, and in less than a year, she won't even be a preschooler anymore.
I'm crying as I write this, and I just can't help but be overwhelmed with emotion regarding this birthday. I am so, so, so thankful for these past five years. Grace is an absolute wonder child. She is beautiful, smart, kind, curious, compassionate, joyful, sensitive, and the best snuggler around. She has taught us so much about God's grace and unending love, and we couldn't be prouder of the girl she has become.
Grace gets told almost daily that she looks like Taylor Swift. There is definitely a resemblance with her porcelain skin and curly blond hair. Here are her 5-year stats:
Weight: 31.4 pounds (less than 5th percentile)
Height: 42 inches (45th percentile)
BMI: 12.5 (less than 5th percentile)
She is long and lean, just like she's always been. I love that she prefers dresses and skirts over pants, not only because they fit her girly personality, but also because it's nearly impossible to find pants to fit her--ones that are small enough in the waist, but long enough in the legs. I guess 31-pound 5-year-olds are atypical. She generally wears a size 4T in clothes and a size 10 in shoes. She's very much into fashion and prefers picking out her own outfits and tells me how she wants her hair. The days of pigtails are becoming fewer, and she now prefers thin headbands or single barrettes. She loves shoes and has way too many for her age. She hates wearing socks.
Grace is a wonderful big sister. She and Ella are two peas in a pod and do everything together. I love watching their friendship grow closer each year and pray that God protects and continues to nurture their special bond. Grace also adores Sutton. She is very patient with him and likes to teach him new things. She's constantly touching him, which he doesn't always like. She's still enamored with touching his head because "it's so soft and smells so good."
She LOVES school and learning. She's mastered all her letters and sounds and is starting to read. She constantly asks us the definitions of words, and she likes to practice handwriting. At her last parent-teacher conference, her teacher said she was very, very smart and meticulous and a wonderful student. Although she's ready for kindergarden in terms of her skills, I'm very not ready for this milestone. I cry just thinking about it.

Grace still enjoys dance class and picked up another activity this year with soccer. She had a wonderful season and is already looking forward to spring soccer. Unfortunately, she got a nasty stomach virus a couple of days before the end-of-season party and final game. She was so sad, but her sweet daddy stopped by the final game to pick up her trophy. It is now proudly displayed on her dresser.
The next day, we experienced Grace's second trip to the emergency room. She just couldn't hold down anything, and after a visit to the pediatrician confirmed that she'd lost a couple of pounds when she has absolutely no weight to spare, we were told to go straight to the ER for IV fluids. Grace is the most precious sick person I've ever seen. She doesn't complain at all and still looks great, even when she's vomiting. She's so careful to hold her hair back and hates making a mess. Still, four days of it really took its toll on her, but after she was rehydrated, she perked right back up. Her biggest concern was being sick for her birthday party, which was that weekend. All she wanted was "to feel like myself again." Thankfully, by Friday, she did and was even able to return to school. She also left the ER with an early birthday present.
We celebrated Grace's birthday all day, starting with a Happy Birthday song wake up call, a special birthday breakfast (of Frosted Mini Wheats- her choice), a homemade cookie cake sent to school, opening presents before dinner and finally a birthday dinner and dessert at Benihana (again, her choice).
It's been a wonderful year, full of wonderful experiences, and this next year will bring even more fun. I continue to cherish each moment. She makes it very easy. Our sweet Gracie girl, you are loved more than you'll ever know. We are thankful for the blessing of your life!

No comments: