We spent this weekend getting into the Christmas spirit, and it was so much fun! On Friday afternoon, Grace and Ella decorated Christmas trees.
Grace wrote this all by herself. It says "Gracie From To: Aunt Cathy." Sorry, Aunt Cathy if I ruined this surprise. You called while we were making these, and Gracie decided that she would send hers to you :)
Next up--Light Up Lakewood, our neighborhood Christmas tree lighting. Before we left, I attempted to get a family picture. As frustrating as it is sometimes, I just try to laugh (otherwise, I'd cry)...
Ouch! Sutton's little head took a beating when he fell under the Christmas tree. After we dried up those tears, we loaded up all the coats, mittens and blankets (it was soooo cold) and headed out. The girls scored candy canes as soon as we arrived, and I think they had about four each in less than an hour. 'Tis the season for sweets, right?
Travis and I had been building Grace up all week about seeing Santa. She's only had her picture taken with him once before when she was 13 months old. It wasn't the best experience...

Since then, she's adamantly refused and hasn't even wanted to see him. We saw him last year at LUL, but she wasn't about to sit for a picture. But, she surprised us, and instead it was Ella who cried and wouldn't sit in his lap. So, guess who else got her picture taken with Santa? Me!
Gracie was so good and told Santa she wanted a "pink real guitar." He thought she said "pink girl guitar," so I had to do a little explaining. We'll see if he gets it right. Sutton immediately latched onto Santa's beard. Poor Santa! Sutton was pulling really hard and almost caused a scene. Good thing that beard is stuck on so tightly (or that mommy was so nice to help Santa and thus not give away his disguise).
Unbeknownst to me, Travis snapped this picture of me and "attached-to-Mommy's-hip-Ella." She's all over me these days. I'm enjoying it while I can. I love it.
On Saturday, we did more Christmas crafts and attempted to make ornaments for Grandma. It started off fine. Grace was in deep thought about the decorations on her ornaments.
Sutton loves being in the middle of everything.
I really should have known better than to leave Ella alone for one second with markers.
GUILTY!!
Seriously? Is this typical 2-year-old behavior? Grace was never typical when it came to messy stuff, and in 4 years, she has never done this. I'm having to learn all about stain removal (on clothing and skin). Is God trying to prepare me for Sutton's future messes?
On Saturday night, Travis and I went to our first Christmas party. It was fun to dress up, especially since I'd spent the day in pseudo-pajamas and sans makeup. The girls played dress up in my closet. Here's what Grace came up with:

Boots and a bra. Nice. Ella went with some simple flip flops. I'm impressed that she can walk so well in them. She hangs on really tightly with her tiny toes. Too cute.

Travis also attempted to put Christmas lights on our trees outside. The girls were eager to bundle up and assist him.

Unfortunately, several strands of lights were out, and they didn't get very far. So, they played "ready, set, go" instead. And yes, they're wearing their jammies with boots, hats and coats.
And, finally, we went to church on Sunday and enjoyed singing Christmas carols. Grace came to big church with us and colored a nativity scene during the sermon. After the service, we picked up Ella and Sutton and stopped by the big nativity scene. Ella is obsessed with "baby jee-sis" and "ooohhh"ed and "aaahhh"ed a lot. I love having babies to celebrate this season with. It makes for such a Merry Christmas! After church, we listened to more Christmas music while the girls cleaned up :) Here they are dancing to Grace's favorite "Holly, Jolly Christmas."



No comments:
Post a Comment