Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Birthday Parties

On Thursday, we had a small family celebration for Ella's birthday. Grace and I woke her up in the morning with a lovely rendition of "Happy Birthday" which I'm sure she loved. She heard it at least 10 times that day. When Travis and I got home from work, we let Ella smash a cupcake and open her gifts. She didn't know what to think of the cupcake at first and seemed concerned that we were huddled around her high chair staring at her. She eventually figured it out and kept signing for "more" after she was done! This frosting covered baby needed a quick sink bath before opening her presents!
Grace was a wonderful helper and did most of the unwrapping herself. Ella loved all her new noise-making toys, especially the Glo Worm. Remember those? It's so cute and lights up and plays soothing music, and she's been sleeping with it every night.After presents, we loaded up and headed to Babe's for a birthday feast with Grambi, Papa Jim, Aunt Pj, Bubba and Uncle Lindsey. Ella was happy to eat biscuits, butter beans, corn and mashed potatoes, and we were happy to eat all of that and more!Saturday was "big birthday party" day. I spent the day getting the house ready and decorating. That night, we had 40 people at our house for dinner to celebrate Ella's first year of life (including four generations of Cramers and Spillmans). I just love having a house full of people and 1st birthdays are a big deal at our house. I'm so glad I actually got some pictures with the birthday girl!
The highlight of the evening was definitely Ella's cake smashing. Didn't the cakes turn out precious?
Grace helped Ella blow out her candles, and then because she had a little practice on Thursday, Ella dug right it, squishing the cake and icing between her fingers and completely destroying it! She was so happy to have everyone watching her and clapped for herself when she was done. Afterward, I gave her a quick bath and put her in her jammies. Her birthday dress (the same one worn by Grace) was covered in icing, and I got a little sad thinking about the fact that it could be the last time anyone wears it. After cuddling my sweet baby, I took her back downstairs to visit for a little while, and then, just like clockwork, she was ready for bed about 8:00. Poor thing was so exhausted that she didn't mind the noise downstairs and slept right through the last guests leaving around 10:00. What a wonderful day!
I know Ella won't remember any of this, but I'll be happy to show her the pictures and tell her about how special she is. I also started a new tradition for the girls this year that I'm very excited about. At Grace's party, I had all the guests sign a copy of "Pinkalicious." It was her favorite book this year and the inspiration for her birthday party. At Ella's party, I had them sign "On the Night You Were Born." It's an incredibly sweet book that talks about how the world and the angels celebrated on the night she was born because there will never be another her. And, it includes one of my favorite verses: I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:13-15. I love that Grace and Ella will have these special keepsakes to add to their libraries!
Thank you to everyone who came and for all the gifts! Santa does not need to visit us this year!

No comments: