Sunday, May 23, 2010

Grace's Dance Recital

Gracie completed her second year of ballet and tap with a wonderful recital yesterday. She had one last year, but it was held at the dance studio and this one was on a real stage in front of a huge audience. Unfortunately, she started complaining of a stomach ache on Friday evening and it carried over onto yesterday. We thought maybe she was just nervous, so we gave her the option of sitting out. But, she stuck with it. I knew she wasn't faking it when she showed no excitement while getting ready. She normally loves dressing up, but didn't get very excited about the eye shadow and red lipstick she'd been talking about for months (literally, she couldn't wait to wear red because I told her it's only for recitals). Even though she felt icky, she posed for a few pictures before we left home.
You can tell she was faking this smile...
Poor thing felt so bad but wanted to try to dance. Parents aren't allowed backstage, so I told her dance teacher how awful she felt with directions to come get us if she got sick. I fully expected them to pull us from the audience, but they never did. We waited about 45 minutes for her routine, and during that time, both Ella and Sutton did great. They loved watching the other dancers, dancing to the music and eating lots of snacks :)
When Grace's class came on stage, she totally blew us all away. The song for her dance was "Witch Doctor," and it really got everyone excited. Grace knew her dance after lots of at-home practicing. She did so great that Genny and I cried!

Grace is on the back right.
When the girls were finished, they each signed off by waving to the audience and marching off stage. Travis watched Grace's rehearsal the day before and gave her a few pointers: (1) don't stick your tongue out, and (2) smile when you walk off stage. She has a habit of sticking her tongue out when she's nervous, but kept it in her mouth the entire dance. Then when the dance was finished and as the girls' were signing off one by one, Grace was the only one who turned to the audience and flashed a huge smile when she waved. The crowd loved it and started yelling for her. I was so proud that I thought my heart would burst! Of course I didn't get a picture of "the" moment because I was too excited!
All the dancers from "Baby, It's Magic."
When her dance teacher was dismissing her, she told me, "Mom, she barely made it, but she did so good!" Grace was so relieved to see me, and I knew she must really have felt terrible.
I tried to get a family picture, but of course Ella who was not happy that I was holding Gracie and not her. And in case you're wondering who the head on our shoulders is, it is Davey O'Brien, the 1938 Heisman Trophy winner from Woodrow Wilson High School. And no, of course I didn't know that, Travis filled me in.
Poor Gracie just wanted to go home.
As it turns out, she was sicker than any of us thought and started vomiting as soon as we got walked in the door. It lasted all afternoon and was the first time she's ever had tummy issues, which is unbelievable, don't you think? We still can't believe that she made it through the recital after waiting backstage for 45 minutes and then dancing and getting home. What a strong and brave girl!

1 comment:

3 Peanuts said...

Poor lil thing..she is such a tropper. Sounds like she did GREAT!