Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy 2nd Birthday, Sutton!

Everyone knows I love to plan parties, and I can honestly say that Sutton's 2nd birthday party was a huge success! Because our cousin Morgan was getting married on Sutton's real birthday, we held his party the weekend before his birthday. I've decided that our new house is so much better for entertaining. Everything just flows so nicely, and it's nice to be able to view the backyard (where the kids congregate) from all the windows in the kitchen and family room. I had so much fun creating a theme around two of Sutton's favorite things--airplanes and the color orange. I first designed the invitation, and everything went from there...
The highlight of the party for Sutton was his custom-made orange airplane pinata. He loves, loves, loves pinatas and went c-r-a-z-y when he saw this for the first time before the party began. Funny story--my mom thought it was an orange whale wearing a blindfold :)
This was his reaction after he realized it was his very own pinata..
The video is just hilarious. He gets so frenzied and shouts, "It's mine! Mine!" He was originally very possessive of the pinata and didn't want anyone else to touch it. ..
Thankfully, he eased up a bit. We attempted a family picture before everyone arrived. Here's what we got...
Ella just wasn't having it. I love this picture of Sutton and more of his favorite things--the McNeill boys and his BeBe (riding on the pinata). I never realized how much John and Sutton actually look alike.
The entry table held the "Airport Check-In" sign and one of his favorite books for the year--I Love You This Much (a precious story about the love between a little boy and his mom)--for all our guests to sign.
Inside, we filled the family room with orange balloons...
The food table held the "Food Court" sign and contained cupcakes and his favorite snacks--Goldfish, Cheerios and fruit.
The drink station held the "Fuel" sign, and guests helped themselves to water, juice and sweet tea.
The kids entertained themselves in the backyard with the playset and bounce house. It was really simple, but I think everyone had a fun time.
Sutton loved hearing the "Happy To" song (a/k/a Happy Birthday) and happily blew out his candle.
After cupcakes, we headed outside for the pinata. Sutton loved this! He was a little hesitant, but he finally passed the stick onto his sisters...
The other kids took their turns, and David finished it off for them. The kids made a mad dash for the candy, but Sutton was content after finding one package of "nim nims" (M&Ms) and some fruit snacks. Before everyone left, they stopped by "Baggage Claim" to pick up their bubble wand and homemade cookie (our favorite oatmeal chocolate chip) party favors.

It was such a fun party, and I'm so grateful that everyone came to celebrate our favorite boy! Here are more pics of Sutton and our party guests:
I resent that Jennifer is trying to teach Sutton how to "hook 'em," when he's just trying to show her that he's now "2!"
After everyone left, we opened gifts, and Sutton may have had another cupcake (or two)!
He loved all his gifts, but especially his new balance bike, remote control car and the card from Poppy and Dory that plays the "Hot Dog Song" (from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse).

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Happy 2nd Birthday to Sutton! What a fun party - love the theme! You did an awesome job - everything just looked amazing :) And the kids are as precious as ever!