Oh, how quickly two years has flown by. Sutton is definitely a not a baby anymore. He's such a boy, and we've had another wonderful year with him. It's hard to believe that in two short years, we've gone from this (8 months pregnant)...

to this (9 months pregnant)...

to this (a few minutes old)...

to this (one week old)...

to this (six months old)...

to this (one year old)...
to this (fifteen months old)...
to this (eighteen months old) ...
to this (two years old)...
What a little love. Sutton has totally stolen our hearts, and we love the energy that a little boy has brought to our home. He is constantly moving, talking and doing. I've heard some people say that boys tend to be lazy, but not this one. We call him our "do-er." From holding his own bottle at a couple of months old (which his sisters never did), to getting his own snacks out of the fridge and pantry, Sutton doesn't wait for us to do things for him. He does everything himself. We hear "I did it!!" all day long. He is smart, sweet, compassionate, loving, tough, funny, easy going and quick.
Sutton starts each day bright and early, between 6:30 and 7:15. He's always happy in the morning, and really, always happy in general. He likes Nutella for breakfast. He picks out his own clothes, usually something orange or the "pane" (airplane) or "taco" (helicopter) shirts. He loves his new Crocs that Papa Jim gave him for his birthday. He spends his days tagging along to Grace and Ella's activities or at the park. He loves books and reads to us daily. He recognizes the letters "O" and "A."
Sutton loves music. His favorites are Wheels on the Bus, Itsy Bitsy Spider, and the Beatles Rockabye Baby CD he's listened to every night and nap since he was about 3 weeks old. His constant companions are Bebe, a stuffed monkey and two silky blue blankets. However, his crib is always stocked with his puppy Pillow Pet, at least 3 regular size blankets, two small blankets, BeBe, a stuffed puppy, a stuffed Nemo and the Build-a-Bear Grace bought for him before he was born. When you press its paw, you can hear Grace say, "I love you baby brother," and we often hear this during the night.
He can count to ten in English and Spanish, although he sometimes combines the two. He knows all his colors, including pink, "purpo," "ba-lack," gold and "silber." He can identify just about every body part, including eyebrows, chin, cheeks, and nostrils (thanks to his daddy for those). He's also noticed that his boy parts look different from his sisters' parts and asked Grace recently, "Gigi, penis broken?"
Sutton likes anything orange, swimming, cars, "beeeg trucks" (big trucks), panes (planes), "tacos" (helicopters) and things that "go fast." Aside from food, he doesn't have many dislikes. He's an extremely picky eater and subsists on noodles, Nutella sandwiches (I'm way more lenient the third time around), jelly sandwiches (no peanut butter yet because of the girls' allergies), fruit, goldfish, string cheese, and Cheerios ("Chee-ros"). He has a giant sweet tooth. I'm hoping he expands his palate over the next year. It's a work in progress.
His vocabulary and verbal ability simply amazes me. He carries on conversations with us and others. He's very friendly and introduces himself to nearly everyone--"Hi. I Sutton. I two!" During his baptism-- as Pastor Paul was blessing him with holy water, Sutton said, "I two!" right into the microphone. It garnered a laugh from the congregation, but that was just the beginning. When Paul picked him up and said, "Okay, bud. Now, tell everyone how old you are." Sutton quickly replied, "I five!"
Although he says most things pretty clearly, here are some of his favorite words and phrases that make us giggle:
Wassat ting? = What's that thing?
Ummmmm = um. When you ask him a question, he usuallys says "ummm" and then answers.
Minkie = blanket. He can't go to sleep without his two favorite "minkies."
Minga, minga = Clean up, clean up. This is how he interpreted the clean up song.
Down-tairs = downstairs
Up-tairs = upstairs
Brepast = breakfast
Chee-ros = Cheerios
Cacker = cracker
Oooh, go fast!
Where Bay go? = Where did Baylor go?
Can't reash it = I can't reach it
Awww, Sunnon = Awww, Sutton. He used to call himself "Sunnon," and this is one phrase that he hasn't corrected yet.
Beeeg wahn = big one. As in, "That's a beeg wahn bug!"
Two whans = two ones. He got this from Ella- if he has one of something, it's just "whan." If he has two of something, it's "two whans."
Too much = too much. When he tries to haul all the loot out of his crib and realizes he doesn't have enough hands for everything, he says "too much" and leaves things behind.
Lub ooo = love you. Melts my heart every time.
Bess fren = best friend. He says daddy is his "bess fren."
Pincess = princess. With two girly sisters, he is very familiar with pincesses.
Everyone says he looks just like Travis, but I think he's also starting to look more like me with his big brown eyes. Although I kept his hair short last year, I've let it grow out, and we all love his curls. Plus, the longer locks allow for cool hairdos like this...
He's long and lean. Here are the stats from his 2-year checkup:
Weight: 25 lbs (15th percentile)
Height: 35 inches (70th percentile)
Head: 19 inches (45th percentile)
He's definitely not lacking in love. The girls just adore him. He's started picking on Grace, and she often treats him like the pesky little brother. At the end of the day, however, they can't go to bed without kissing each other goodnight. Because he usually wakes up before the girls in the morning, some of his first questions are, "Where's Gigi? Where's Ella?" The bond between Sutton and Ella is amazing. At only eighteen months apart, they are two of a kind. Ella has always been very defensive of him, letting Travis and I know, "Don't be mean to Sutton--he's just a baby!" And for the record, disciplining him is not "being mean."
Speaking of discipline, Sutton puts himself in time out when he misbehaves. Sometimes his emotions get the best of him and he hits Grace or Ella. As soon as he does it, he gets the saddest look on his face and says, "Sowwy. Time out, Sutton." He usually sits on the front steps and pouts until we offer a hug and kiss. He's very affectionate and doesn't let us go anywhere without hugging and kissing. He's also quick to kiss any "ouchies," and if someone even says "ouch," he asks, "Kiss it? You hab ouchie?"
Oh, my precious boy. I wish I could freeze time and keep you in this sweet, cuddly phase forever. But, then again, that would mean I would have to suffer through your tantrums forever, too :) I love all of your contrasts--you're needy, yet independent. Rough, yet gentle. I pray that God uses you to do great things. I am forever grateful to be your mommy, and I love you to the moon and back a thousand times!



No comments:
Post a Comment