Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Getting Into the Christmas Spirit

We've been so busy around here getting ready for Christmas, and we're having so much fun! We kicked things off on Sunday, December 7 when I took Grace to see The Nutcracker for the very first time. We got all fancied up, and Grace wore one of her precious Christmas dresses from last year. However, she would NOT let me take a picture of her. This is all I got, but at least you can see how cute her dress is... Grace and I have been reading The Nutcracker before bedtime, so it was nice that she was able to follow along. We had great seats, and she snuggled on my lap (even though I paid for her to have a seat). The ballet was beautiful, but my favorite part was watching her wide eyes and answering her questions, "Where's the Mouse King? Did he die yet?" She loved the beautiful ballerinas and said she wants to be one someday. It was great to have some "mommy and me" time with her, and I hope we can make this a yearly tradition. I'm thinking Ella might be up for it next year, although we're going to need to work on her attention span. That baby can't sit still for 5 minutes!

I also finished getting the house decorated. Here are some shots of our trees, although I forgot to take a picture of the girls' pink tree upstairs. The first tree is the one in our living room. It's more for decoration, although none of the ornaments are breakable. As curious as she is about everything, I was sure that I'd have a hard time keeping Ella out of it, but so far she's not interested in anything except the lights. The other tree is the one in our office that you can see from the street. It's decorated in fun colors with an assortment of ornaments we've collected each Christmas. When Travis and I got married, one of the gifts we received was an old fashioned glass ornament shaped like a chapel. That year, we started a collection of ornaments, adding a bride and groom and a new house for our first Christmas together. Then, we added a baby buggy when Grace was born, and we've continued with this tradition every year. This year, Grace got a ballerina because she started ballet lessons and Cinderella's carriage because that is her favorite movie. Ella got a little girl on a rocking horse because she loves to ride the rocking horse in her room. Last year, I also started buying personalized ornaments for the girls, and I can't wait to buy 3 next year!
And, here's the mantle with our stockings. Notice the one for baby #3, just waiting to be embroidered.
Finally, my favorite decoration is this nativity set my parents bought for us two Christmases ago. Isn't it gorgeous? And, I love that it's a constant reminder of what the season is really about.


No comments: