Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Years Trip to OKC

On New Years Day, we drove to OKC for a visit with Poppy and Dori. Ella was sleepy before we started, so I was sure she'd do this for at least a couple of hours...No such luck. Her nap lasted 30 minutes, and for the remainder of the trip, she alternated between snacking and fussing.
I love her to death, but she's not so good in the car. Grace, however, is a champion traveller and stays quiet as long as she has a snack and a good movie.
The girls loved playing the piano, and I'm guessing this will end up in our house one day.Feeding the ducks and geese is always a highlight, and this time was no exception. Here's Grace feeding pita bread to the ducks and geese.
This is George. He likes to hoard all the food. I just love this face... And, here's Ella. She got mad at Travis when he prompted her to actually throw her pita to the ducks. Throw away her food? Are you kidding? She'd much rather eat it herself! Speaking of eating, she did a lot of it while Grace played with Play Doh.
I just had to snap some pictures of this. Grace asked me to make her a person so that she could "do surgery on her." I can't wait to show these off at her med school graduation.
One thing I'm sad that I didn't get a picture of was Grace's first ice skating experience. On Saturday, we went to the ice rink in downtown OKC, and none of us really expected Grace to want to ice skate. She usually gets nervous about trying new things. At first, she curiously watched the other skaters and thought it was hilarious when people fell down. We asked her if she wanted to try it, and she emphatically said "NO!" After about 15 minutes, though, she decided to try it with her Daddy. So, she and Travis stood in line for skates; I laced them up for her, and off they went. Travis is a good skater, so he basically held her up the whole time under her arms. But, she loved it! Oh, how I wish a had a picture of the smile on her face! All of us were so proud of her for not being afraid and trying something new. I think it's something we'll never forget.
As usual, our visit was too short. We can't wait to see Poppy and Dori again when we travel to OKC in a couple of weeks. The girls will get to stay at Poppy and Dori's by themselves on Saturday night while we attend a wedding in Tulsa. It will be their very first sleepover without us!

No comments: