About a month ago, I ordered a butterfly garden because I thought Grace would really like watching the transformation. She'd read several books about it, so I thought actually seeing it would be fun. Once the caterpillars arrived, we curiously watched them eat away and grow exponentially over the period of a week. Then, they crawled to the top of their container, hung upside down, and spun their cocoons in one afternoon. And finally, this past week, the butterflies emerged! It was so neat to watch Grace's face as she checked them out that morning. She liked helping make their food (sugar water) and picked flowers from our flower pots to put in their cage. We kept them for about four days and decided to let them go on Thursday. For some reason, she didn't want much to do with them once I opened their cage. Ella, however, kept saying, "Go bye! Go bye!" and we had to coax them out of their happy home. Eventually, they all left. Overall, it was a fun project, but Travis thinks it was probably more fun for me than anyone else. Maybe we'll try it again next year!



No comments:
Post a Comment