Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sutton's First Week

Meet Mr. Dream Baby...
I don't know if my memory is just foggy because I'm post-partum (or because I've had three kids), but I don't remember Grace and Ella being so easy during their first weeks.  Sutton is good at everything:  eating, sleeping, being cute and cuddly, etc.  I guess all my babies have been good eaters and took to nursing right from the start with no problems.  And, most babies sleep all the time in the beginning, but something about him just seems so easy.  He only cries when he's having his diaper changed.  That's it.  When he's hungry, he just makes little noises and moves around a lot, but no crying.  He has a really peaceful and sweet spirit, and we are completely smitten!  

Sutton spends most of his time asleep in someone's arms...
Most of the time, he's in my arms, and I LOVE it!
Travis has been jokingly giving me a hard time about this, but I told him I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.  Sutton is my last baby, and this is the last time one of my babies will ever be this tiny.  So, I'm going to hold him as much as I want.  And, in my defense, Sutton has also spent time his swing and bouncy seat.  
We even joined Grace, Ella, Gabby and Dory at the park this week.  The girls had a ton of fun playing and loved that I got to play with them, since I'd been unable to keep up with them for the past few weeks.  Sutton seemed pretty content sleeping in his stroller.  Any time someone would go up to take a peek, Grace would quickly tell them, "He's my baby."  Ella also kept a close eye on him, and I'm sure she was thinking the same thing.
I still think Sutton looks like Travis, and he definitely looks more like Grace than Ella.  His hair is dark, but photographs much lighter.  It's the same color that the girls had at this age, although theirs turned blond pretty quickly.  I have a feeling his will do the same.  Sutton is also built more like Grace.   I think this picture of him shows just how long and skinny his little legs are...(note: his feet don't look that big in person, but he definitely has big hands).
Today, Travis took Sutton and me to lunch.  We're big believers in taking your kids to restaurants so they know how to act in public, and at the Spillman house, we start early!  Grace was 9 days old the first time we took her out, and Ella was just shy of a week.  We consistently take our kids out to eat at least twice a week, and they behave so well.  Apparently, our strategy is working.  We'll see what happens with three kids...
The thing I've been feeling the most this week is awe.  I'm in complete awe at God's goodness and the favor He has shown on my life.  I'm in complete awe that Travis and I have had three beautiful, healthy babies in three and a half years.  I'm in awe that I have three kids at age 30. I'm in awe that this week has been so smooth.  I'm in awe that Grace and Ella have adjusted so well to having a newborn in our home.  What a blessing all of this is.  What a week!

4 comments:

Barker Crew said...

I think Lainey and Sutton will be great friends! She is a dream so far, too! Like you say...is it the honeymoon stage or just a great baby? I'm thinking great babies! I'm so happy to hear that all is well --- I cannot believe that you've already gone out!! I've not even put make-up on yet!! Caleb and I may celebrate our anniversary with dinner tomorrow night - we'll see and I'm not promising anyone make-up even if we do!! HA! Give everyone my best...I love seeing pictures of your sweet family!

The Fisher's said...

Very beautiful. That little boy will definitely be a momma's boy. I have one of those and I love it.

Candie said...

It sure seems like Sutton is a mini-me of his father based on the one picture that is a close up. I'm so happy you all are doing well! He's beautiful and I LOVE his name!!!

Anna said...

Lucky you! I'm so glad you have an easy baby! I can't wait to meet him!