Friday, May 15, 2009

A Baby Story, Plus Lots of Pictures

Sutton's birth story is pretty short and sweet, so here it goes...As I mentioned, I had contractions basically all day after my 39-week check up.  I had an inkling that something big was happening, so that night, I finished packing my bag for the hospital, laid out the girls' stuff for the next day, and took a shower and dried my hair.  Travis and I watched American Idol, and I went to bed around 10:30 with a digital watch in hand.  My contractions were about 8 minutes apart, but not terribly painful.  Still, I didn't get much sleep.  Travis came to bed around 11:00, and at that point, my contractions were closer together and more painful.  He easily fell asleep, but I woke him up at 11:30, and said, "It's time!"  We started getting our things together, and then, my water broke.  Luckily, my brother lives just around the corner, so he was at our house quickly and we headed off for the hospital.

When we got there, I gave them all the vital info and we got checked in around 12:30.  My doctor was not on call, but the resident checked me and confirmed what I already knew--this was the real thing!  Thankfully, my epidural was AMAZING this time.  Instead of just working on the right side, it worked on both sides and made me very comfortable.  I wanted to wait until my doctor arrived (because he's incredible), but this baby was ready.  Less than 6 hours later, it was time to push.  I pushed for less than 5 minutes, and Sutton was born!  He exercised his lungs right away--what a beautiful sound.  It was love at first sight, all over again!

Sutton, Travis and I were able to enjoy a pretty quiet couple of hours together before our families arrived.  And, then the fun began....

Ella was a little unsure about why I was holding a baby
Poppy meeting Sutton
Curious sisters
Grambi meeting Sutton
Gabby is excited about having a boy to care for
Chachi meeting Sutton
Dori and Grace admiring Sutton
The first of many kisses
Pj, Dori and Grace are in love
Ella finally warmed up to my hospital bed
The crew headed home after lunch, and we got some much needed rest.  I'd been awake since 6:30 Wednesday morning and was exhausted.  After dinner, we got another round of visits.  

Ella was a little more confident
Grace was thrilled
My three babies
Our sweet (and creative) friend, Ashley made this sign for our door
What a wonderful first day with our precious boy!

2 comments:

The Fisher's said...

Beautiful. What a gorgeous family! I love all the smiling faces.

Kathy Hardgrave said...

So happy to see baby Sutton and his family! My favorite picture is of Mommy and her three babies! Looking forward to watching the children grow. love, Mrs. Kathy in Sonora